Sunday, July 11, 2010

Book Order

We received and then gave away our copy of The Power of One, so must remember to re-order it. While I'm at it, just a note to remind everyone that our next book is Pilgrim by Timothy Findley which also requires ordering. Wouldn't it be great to have a local bookshop that miraculously had both of those titles? It may not exist. Looking forward to both of those.

Meantime, I've been reading a couple of Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallender mysteries. I heard an interview with Mankell recently - he was on the flotilla in Gaza that was attacked perhaps a month ago. I'm always amazed at how different an experience it is to read a work that's been translated. It feels something like approaching English from the side. Anyway, I recommend them, particularly the first of the two that RVPL has available - it's called Faceless Killers. I know, I'm ashamed. I followed the second book up by watching Ingmar Bergman's autobiographical film Fanny and Alexander last night - wow - also highly recommended. O those wonderfully artistic Swedes!

Happy reading, group!

1 comment:

  1. Wallender has been dramatized on British TV

    Speaking of Swedes here's a Norwegian Nobel Laureate I've returned to. I've long had a copy of The Wanderer, translations of Under the Autumn Star and On Muted Strings, by Knut Hamsun; and I'm currently reading Pan in a Folio edition (1983) graciously given me by a dear friend I visited in England whose deceased father's library is too large for her to house.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete